Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Wheels within wheels...



Putnam:  How may we blame ourselves? I am one of nine sons; the Putnam
seed have peopled this province. And yet I have but one child left of eight - and
now she shrivels!

Rebecca:  I cannot fathom that.

Mrs. Putnam, with a growing edge of sarcasm:  But I must! You think it God’s
work you should never lose a child, nor grand-child either, and I bury all but
one? There are wheels within wheels in this village, and fires within fires!

Putnam, to Parris:  When Reverend Hale comes, you will proceed to look for
signs of witchcraft here.


What does Mrs. Putnam mean when she says, 

"You think it God's work you should never lose a child, nor grandchild either, and I bury all but one?  There are wheels within wheels in this village, and fires within fires!"




No comments:

Post a Comment